The First Time sketches
As some of you may know, CHIRP Radio runs a periodic storytelling and music event in Chicago called “The First Time”. Readers tell stories on a first-time theme (first city, first love, first job, etc) that reference, somewhere, a song, and then the house band (made up of members of the Chicago band Frisbie) play that song. The event is always fun, and the music is great.
Lately, I taken to bringing my sketch pad along to draw the band and the readers. Now, this is rather hard to do well, because it’s dark. It’s also hard to get a good read on people’s faces when there’s a microphone in the way. It’s especially hard to draw the readers, who I’ve mostly never seen before. The band, I get better at every time. I have the hardest time with Steve Frisbie, probably because he’s usually singing, and there’s that microphone in the way.
So here are some reasonably good sketches from the last two events:
- Jocelyn Geboy, the event’s creator/organizer/emcee. (This sketch it a reasonably good likeness, except if you know Jocelyn you know this sketch is far too subdued. Jocelyn is a very naimated person)
- Steve Frisbie from the band, half in shadow. I promise you, Steve, I will get better at drawing you.
- Liam Davis, also from the band.
- Liam Davis again. Here he’s singing the second verse of Romeo Void’s Never Say Never.
- Gerald Dowd, the third member of the band. He’s usually the drummer, though they all switch things up during the show.
- Gerald Dowd again.
- Mare Swallow, one of the readers from the last show. This isn’t a great likeness, ultimately, but I like the sketch anyway. (Notice: there are no other sketches of readers that I liked enough to show them to you. Sorry!)